Currently I’m working on a big DNG Extension that will:
- Search Artefacts and their link structure
- Create a Workitem “Mirror” at RTC…Workitems with similar names and the same link structure
- Link the DNG Artefacts with their RTC Workitems counterparts.
Sounds simple, just create a loop to get the Artefacts and then create the related Workitems. But it isn’t!
And here are the “Lessons learned”.
OSLC isn’t enough
As in my last Blogs mentioned, there exist more then OSLC. RTC and DNG has a rich REST API available like the Reporting API. Believe me you will need the other REST API. BTW, it seems that there are more Web API used by DNG and RTC. You can see them with the Chrome Developer Tools. And some of them look like SOAP Calls.
Use DNG Views
Use the “Revealing Modul” Pattern
Use Promise/Deferred with AJAX calls
Use local Variables to cache the results of the AJAX calls
- Performance? (Creating 4000 to 6000 Workitems)
- Stability? (Memory consumption of Browser or the JTS Appserver)
- Interruption of the long running Script because of Laptop Standby or Browser crash?
- Use a local RDF store?
- Include “eye candy”
It works great and it is amazing to see that a complex Workitem structure is created with just one click!